Google
 

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Homespun Scarf Free Crochet Pattern


I spent awhile today making my grandson a cape so he could go to school as the character from one of his favorite books. Not having any idea who "The Ranger's Apprentice" was so I kind of had to wing it. He had to go home before I got a picture of it. That of course has nothing to do with the scarf pictured above so I guess I'd better give you the pattern.
.
A lot of people don't like working with Lion Brand Homespun and I understand that. I'm making these scarves for a group called The Woven Lotus who distributes them to victims of sexual abuse and assault. They have to be soft and Homespun certainly fits the bill. I wanted to find a pattern that minimized the hassles of using Homespun and came up with this. Most of the stitches go into spaces and makes it a lot easier to work with. One six ounce skein will make two six foot (including the fringe) scarves.
.
Homespun Scarf
.
Lion Brand Homespun or similar yarn
Size N crochet hook
.
Chain 16
Row 1: Double crochet in 6th ch from hook,* ch1 skip 1 ch, dc in next ch, repeat from * ending with a dc
Row 2: Ch 3 and turn, dc in first sp, *ch 1, dc in next space, repeat from * across, dc in 4th chain of starting turning chain.
Row 3: Ch 4 and turn, double crochet first space,* ch1, dc in next space repeat from * across, dc in last dc
Row 4: Ch 3 and turn, dc in first sp, *ch 1, dc in next space, repeat from * across, dc in 3rd chain of turning chain
Repeat rows 3 and 4 until scarf is about four and a half feet long, ending with a row 3.
.
You can make it longer if you wish but you might not get 2 scarves out of one skein.
.
Cut yarn into 16 inch lengths to make fringe.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yay! I can't wait to receive them, I am so very thankful you have though of Wovenlotus!

namaste ~ branwyn
wovenlotus founding crafter

Unknown said...

Thanks for the pattern, Deb! I look forward to trying it. Since Homespun can fray badly when cut, I will probably either tie the ends of my fringes, or make chain loops... sort of a fake fringe, I guess.

Terry in GA

Cherri said...

Very pretty, Deb! Thanks for the pattern!!
Hugs, Cherri

Anonymous said...

I've been looking everywhere for a scarf made of Homespun since I already have the yarn for a friend who committed suicide and I asked my fiance if he'd like me to make a scarf from the same yarn and this one is perfect!!
Pam